Friday, September 28, 2007

Fire in the Hole!

I was SO abstaining from a HUGE swear (of the 4 letter BIG variety) – as we waited for pizza at 8:15 pm last night. Can you guess? What happened? Dinner a la tres crispy! I mean fire extinguisher crispy. Really, really, really, crispy.

On our way home from a field trip at Wolf Trap yesterday, I decided to stop at my long time favorite Tex-Mex Restaurant. Got some homemade salsa, guacamole dressing, and chips (apparently a mistake). Chicken enchiladas on the menu.

Made a fantabulous chicken “stuffing,” black bean side as well as salad with guacamole dressing. Healthy and delicious. Well, maybe NOT when sprayed with whatever nasty stuff is in fire extinguishers!

I put the chips in a 350 degree oven to “warm” them. Who woulda thought that those suckers would catch fire? Really, who woulda thunk it? But, well, they did. I mean flaming fire. Inasmuch as my fam loves to “capture the moment,” they were , seemingly, just trying to save the house – go figure.



The good news was that they ALL had the sense to grab a fire extinguisher, and spray it into the oven. Let me clarify, my husband and my son, both ,emptied two fire extinguishers - each into the oven. I am grateful that I am posting this rather than contacting my insurance company, but I think that those two males crossed the line of overkill.


Fire extinguisher overkill creates a huge mess. Did you know that, “nuisance dust” is actually an ingredient listed on fire extinguishers? Trust me, it is, and it SO fits! The entire dinner (on the top of the stove) was ruined (unless, of course, you are OK with eating a thin film of white crap on your food). The cabinets, the plates, the counter, the utensils. Everything!



My charming family thought it really amusing to add to the calendar, “The Tortilla Incident of 2007,” ~ in a bright pink sharpie. I love my family. They are almost as funny as I am.

It has taken me 7 hours to START cleaning this mess. I no longer crave the yummy stuff at that restaurant, I want them to feel my pain. Roomba and scooba were no help – they were like little abandoned orphans from Oliver – “please sir, can I have some more,” um. NO!

1 comment:

Not June Cleaver said...

What a mess! We had an oven fire a few months ago. I had made something that dripped grease on the bottom of the oven. It had been there for awhile, but then I made something that required the oven to be at 450 degrees and the grease ignited. We didn't use a fire extinguisher though. My husband told me to just let it burn out (not enough oxygen in the closed oven to sustain a fire). He was right. But it was scary.

Enjoyed the field trip, by the way.

You need more commenters!