Saturday, September 8, 2007

I Love Free Stuff!

So, it has finally happened: Harris Teeter has opened a mere 6 miles from my house. All is right with the world. Thursday night, my ds actually made me go to their web site to get the phone number, and call to see if they were open. I love my son. He is perfect. I must have been completely snoozing having missed opening day. Opening day at a supermarket for a homemaker is akin to the Superbowl for husbands.

<< My little darlings are upstairs playing “extreme” air hockey. I know this because my dd has already received a thumb injury, Kiss the boo boo away – she still does that at 14! Of course, she also likes Dora the Explorer, well, maybe not in public, and she was not amused when I came home with a Dora lunchbox. teeheehee >>

So, Friday field trip! Yes, I consider the grand opening of a super market to be quite educational. Even more than a store grand opening, I love FREE STUFF. I don’t care how small, or seemingly insignificant, I am like a moth to a flame when it comes to free stuff, and store openings are the jackpot when it comes to grabbin’ goodies.

I love Harris Teeter. I want to marry them. They give me free stuff. So does Whole Foods. They are on my must marry list too. I always get free food. They call them “samples,” but I know what they really are, they are free for me, and the world is right.

I got to “spin for prizes” before I even entered the store. I wanted to “buy a vowel.” Harris Teeter gave me a $5 gift card just for giving them my email address, and a whole book of coupons, which I really love. I will block their email addy first chance I get, but I got something for free. I grazed through the produce section, eating strawberries (ended up with 3 boxes – they were on sale, the next best thing to being free), bread with spreads, cantaloupe, pasta with red pepper sauce. Yes, an odd combination, but it was free!

I only needed a few things, but, well, I ended up with a cart full. So, the grand total was about $120.00 (but I did not spend $120.00, no, I saved $22.49), and, then, that nice checker told me that I qualified for the FREE luggage. What? How does one qualify for luggage at a super market? I didn’t care, it was free stuff. Now seriously, that nice checker walks away, and comes back with a huge box. I mean really big, like 3 ft x 2 ft x 1 1/2 ft. This is even better than the lottery. I cannot wait to get home to open my free gift!

I rush home, and literally throw everything into the pantry, fridge and freezer. I want my free stuff! Meanwhile my son tears into the box. Not surprisingly, it was, well, luggage. Really nice luggage! One of those wheely suitcase jobs. I also got two more little bags inside of the big suitcase. Three free goodies for me! My son then does the whole Carol Merrill “The price is Right” routine, and shows me all of the cool features of the bag: it upzips to expand in size, it has a nifty attached zipper enclosed folding shirt bag, two handles on the outside so you can carry it two ways. It has lots of features. I want to travel just to use that new free bag of mine. They way I look at it, my groceries were free because that luggage has to be worth more than my groceries, and you have to buy groceries. And the world is right.

<< My children have now moved “extreme air hockey” into my walk in closet because it glows in the dark. I don’t want to know what they have done with the knee high pile of dirty clothes.>>

When Whole Foods opened, they gave me free things too. I got a whole bag of goodies from them (but, alas, no luggage). I got spices. I got a bag, I got, well, free stuff. I got a free oven mitt from that nice butcher when I bought some of his chicken. One time, I got a big soft cooler when I spent more than $100.00. I love being rewarded with free stuff. I think that it is only right.

Giant never gives me free stuff. They also messed with my list. They are no longer my friends. I have new friends that give me free stuff.

I want to get free stuff all of the time. If anyone knows about where to get free stuff, let me know, I’m the gal for you.

No comments: